Monday, November 3, 2008

Diary of the Phone Cursed Family

I hate telephones. Greg and I have never had luck with them. We've had an army of different cordless phones and we always end up going back to the cheapo $7.00 wall mounted, corded, WalMart special. The only problem with that is I have friends that like to talk (and whom I like to talk to!). And with the cheapo attached to the wall model, my ability to speak to said friends is severely limited by the fact that I cannot chase Ms. Fancy pants when I am attached to the wall. And Ms. Fancy Pants needs chasing, yes indeedy she does...often. Anyways, the cheapo WalMart special suddenly became picky a few weeks ago and decided that if you don't hold it exactly the right way, or if you, *gasp*, move while on the phone it will disconnect your call. It's very annoying to have what would be a 5 minute "quick question call" turn into a half an hour ordeal because you keep becoming disconnected! So this weekend, while I was out, Greg apparantly had enough of the "hang up game" and yanked the phone off the wall. I only found this out last night after mentioning to Greg that the phone hadn't rung all afternoon (an absolute rarity in our house!) So we went on a phone hunt through the house knowing that we surely had some retired models lying around. We now have three (yes 3) cordless phones that are now all plugged into different sockets in my kitchen. I don't remember why these phones went out of commission in the first place, but after having immense difficulty making a simple phone call to the doctor this morning I decided to just plug every one of them in and test them all.

Let me introduce you to the delinquents:

This one we've tried on and off during the demise of the cheapo one over the past few weeks. Doesn't like to hold a charge for very long. I'm giving it this one last chance to prove itself...



I plugged this one in and remembered that it has an answering machine in it (bonus!). Well, it still contained 18 messages from whenever it went out of commision ( I have no idea when or why!). So I plug it in and listen to the messages and discover it was around the time of my sister's wedding. If you have been following for awhile, this was also the time when we had been matched for the domestic adoption that ended in the birthmother changing her mind. So the majority of the messages were people calling to check on us, talk about drudging up bad memories! Cursed phones!



This is one that has been on the wall since I discovered Greg's secret yesterday. It seemed to be working well until this morning it took me four separate phone calls (separated by varying lengths of charging time) to make a call to Ana's doctor, get through the automated options, and have enough time to leave a message, arrgh!! (Did I mention that I'm out of minutes on my prepaid cell phone as well?)



Knock on wood, that last one has been doing okay for most of the day. It is now 1:11 and I've had a few phone conversations, and was even able to receive a call back from the doctor. I'm not holding my breath, but at least I can now turn my head while on the phone without losing the call. For the moment, I am satisfied...

RIP Cheapo Corded Phone


3 comments:

beanhead said...

Hope that one lasts. Sorry I take up all of the phone's charges.

Cammie said...

I can think of no one else I'd rather spend my battery's charge with :)

Nannie and Papa said...

We have a similar problem with our cordless phones.... We bought ours at Wal Mart too!!!!! Hmf!!! What is that telling us???