Monday, November 10, 2008

Ah Ah Ah Ah Stayin' Alive, Stayin' Alive...

I'm home. I had a great time this weekend and I'll write more about it later but right now I'm exhausted. I just wanted to share with you an interesting story I heard on the radio on the way home yesterday. Do you like that song "Stayin' Alive" by the Bee Gee's? Well, apparently it's valuable for much more than just dancing. Apparently when you are administering CPR, you are supposed to apply 100 chest compressions per minute. The University of Illinois medical school reports that in a small study they conducted, when CPR students are learning how to do chest compressions, that they are much more accurate when they are following the beat of a well known song. The song they have found to fit the bill is, yup, you guessed it, "Stayin' Alive". Very interesting, don't you think? It clocks in at 103 beats per minute and is one of those songs that you can't get out of your head once it's in there! Can you imagine being in the situation of having to revive someone, "Ah ah ah ah stayin' alive, stayin' alive....." playing over and over in your head? Or maybe you're the type that don't think well inside your head so you are actually singing it out loud? Just imagine the scene for a moment.....So load it on your MP3's folks just in case! There was another song that fit the requirements very well, but "Another One Bites the Dust" just didn't seem quite appropriate! No, I'm not kidding...

6 comments:

beanhead said...

That is wild and the picture in my head is very disturbing. Thanks for the great time this weekend.

Mimi to Ian, Liliana and Cooper said...

Hehehe gee the song Another One Bites the Dust is the song my friend Tammi wants played at her funeral!!!
She has said it for years and years :-)

Debbie said...

Only in Illinois would someone discover Stayin Alive works for CPR. LOL!!!

Amanda said...

That's a very interesting little factoid!

Nannie and Papa said...

I can definitley pic it and am going to mention it at my next CPR class. I can see it now!!!

Kathy G. said...

What will they thnk of next? This is AWESOME!!