Friday, February 8, 2008

Opinion Time

Okay folks, I need an opinion. Now that we have to start filling out paper work that requires Ana's full name I suppose we should figure out what her middle name is going to be. When I was pregnant with Ian, we had picked out boys and girls names. There were several girls names we (well at least I) liked. We had agreed though that her middle name would be Michelle after my sister. When we knew we were going to be adopting a little girl, we had initially thought we would name her Lily, and make her name given at birth her middle name. Then we received our referral, and of course her given name was Ana which we both really liked. Our only concern with Ana (pronounced Ah-na) was with the probability that many would Americanize the pronunciation (more like Anna) and she would have to constantly correct people, so we started thinking about naming her Lily Ana, which we both adored but there was still that pull to keeping her birth name as it was given to her (she was not given a middle name in case you were wondering). We eventually decided, largely because time had passed and we knew she was likely getting used to hearing her name as Ana, to go with Ana. Okay so fast forward to today, really doing some thinking about her middle name. Part of me wants to give her a middle name that incorporates both of her families. Her birth mother's middle name is Azucena which is different, I like it but it would never be pronounced correctly and Greg expressed a concern over spelling issues (he's dyslexic in case you weren't aware). I did a search on the meaning of this name and my jaw hit the table with what I read. Would you believe that Azucena means lily?! I am now sure that this is more than a coincidence and that Lily has to be incorporated some how. So, now we have some combination of Ana and Lily. But I also wanted to give her a name that has meaning from our family as well. Some have suggested I use my own name, Camilla, then she would have a name incorporating both of her mothers. Then I keep going back to the fact that if she had been a child born to me, she would probably have received the middle name Michelle. Oh, and sneaking that Lily in as the first name still creeps up on me but she's been called Ana for 7 months now so I don't know (would Liliana sound close enough for her?). So! Here's the variations that we have considered. I would love any input you may have!

Ana Lily Camilla
Liliana Camilla
Ana Lily Michele
Liliana Michele

What's your vote?!

18 comments:

Mimi to Ian, Liliana and Cooper said...

Out of the options given, I feel I want to vote for Liliana Michele :-)

It seems to roll off the tongue easier then the other choices.

Just my 3 1/2 cents :-)

Mimi

Mimi to Ian, Liliana and Cooper said...

ohhh and now being Mimi I have to ask.......you have spelled your sister's name with two L's but when you put it in Ana's name you dropped an L....was then intentional?

beanhead said...

I like the Ana Lily with either Camilla or Michele. I like the idea of keeping her name the same, but getting in the others as well. As for the Camilla or Michele, well I like the combo of the two mothers, but I also know how special Michele is also. That is a tough one.
Good Luck.

Gail said...

I vote for Liliana Camilla or just Camille. My daughter too is named Ana. I am changing her's to Johanna but giving it the Anna pronunciation.
Gail

Debbie said...

Of course I'm absolutely partial to Liliana and out of all the combinations, I like Liliana Michele the best.

And yes, being so young, she will quickly adapt to being called Lily or Liliana.

Amanda said...

I really like Liliana Michele, but understand your feelings of wanting to keep her birth name.

Anonymous said...

I really love the name Liliana. Were it me, I would choose this. It still has the Ahhnna sound she is familiar with, but with your personal touch to it. I think you are right in the fact that she will be called Anna (the American pronunciation) versus the way it really is. If her name becomes Liliana, it almost sounds the same. I think she would adapt quickly. It is such a beautiful name, I think she would love it too. As for the middle name, either Michelle or Camilla sound very nice with Liliana. If you promised or even mentioned to your sister the posibility of using her name, she may feel a bit bad you changed your mind, even if she doesn't say so out loud. Soooooo, I guess this means that my vote goes to Liliana Michelle. Hope this helps. It is similar to a name I adore. Ariana. That was a top choice for me should my Andrew have been a girl. Well good luck. You must be so releived to be at this point. It must have felt like it would never come. I can't wait to hear the verdict.

Tanya

Michelle said...

I really like Liliana Michele. I agree with others that it flows well and it still has the names you like, plus her birth name. Just my opinion... I look forward to hearing what name you choose. :)

Michael and Michelle said...

Alright, so Mike and I differ on what we like so here it is: I like Liliana Michelle, and Mike likes Ana Lily Michelle. Keep in mind that from your family she will get the last name of Fraize, so then you could just do Ana Lily or Lily Ana. Or were you thinking her first name would be something like Ana Lily, her middle name Michelle, and then the last? Sorry, don't mean to confuse you...way past my bedtime! :)

beanhead said...

Luke votes for Liliana Michele.
Like you care what he thinks. HA HA HA

Anonymous said...

Hi Cammie! Since you asked, I'll weigh in too...

Of the ones you've listed, I like Ana Lily Michele the best. But I also think simply Ana Michele sounds beautiful with your last name.

The name Ana (in whatever form you choose) will always incorporate her biological mother, since she is the one who chose the name for her. Using the name Michele honors not only Michelle but your whole family since it's the name your parents chose for your sister. And since she's such an important part of your life, it honors you too. Then her last name, of course, incorporates Greg and his side of the family too.

All your choices here are lovely, so of course you can't go wrong no matter what you ultimately decide.. Good luck! I can't wait to hear the news that she's home at last.

Anonymous said...

I like Pilar

Anonymous said...

I like Pilar

Anonymous said...

Or Liliana Camichele??? IT combines both Camilla and Michele

tina said...

Liliana Michele. Then you can still call her Lily or Ana if you want a shorter name.

Good luck!!

- tina

Kelly said...

i like Liliana Michelle and Liliana Camilla, they are both very nice. I think that Liliana is a great combination of you and her birth mother and is very thoughtful of you. Liliana is a very nice name, good luck!

Nannie and Papa said...

Cammie:

This is from nancy Lang: I love this Blog! I am so excited to meet Ana or should I say Liliana. My choice is definitely Liliana Michelle. I am sure all her friends will end up calling her Lili. You are in our prayers daily that your beautiful daughter will be home soon. Nancy Lang

Nannie and Papa said...

i am totally torn between all the names you have. I love them all.

Are you surprised that I can't make a decision Cammie?

I am partial to Liliana

Love, Mum