Tuesday, September 25, 2007

Guatemalan Adoption Troubles

Adoptions from Guatemala have been a complex situation for some time now. We knew that going into it. We knew that there would be timelines extended beyond the previous 6-8 month norms. We knew that there was the threat of the Hague Convention (go to www.guatadopt.com and you can read all the latest news) going into effect possibly complicating matters. We knew that when we brought our baby home there was a good chance she may be a year or older. We didn't think it would happen, but we knew it was a possibility, maybe we were completely naive. What we didn't know was how real the connection feels between parents and a child they have only seen pictures of. We didn't know that we would be making our visit trip with the knowledge that we may hold yet another baby that is not meant to be ours.
The US Department of State issued another warning yesterday. There is a real possibility that if our adoption is not completed by December 31st (and there is really no way it could be) that it may become incredibly difficult if not impossible to complete the adoption. I will not pretend to understand all the issues that surround this matter. If you would like to read more, the site I mentioned above is an excellent resource.
There have been scares like this before, but somehow it gives me no solace, it wasn't happening to me then, so I don't know if it had the same ominous feeling. I would like to think that any cases that are in process would be allowed to finish. It is really a disservice to the children of Guatemala, as they are the ones that would suffer needlessly should adoptions come to a halt. Don't get me wrong, I am fully behind the need for reform in Guatemala. I would never want to adopt a child who was kidnapped, who's birthmother was coerced, or who was brought to adoption through illegal means. But for the children who truly need homes, who's family cannot provide for them, they are the ones who will be most affected. I have complete trust in our agency that everything has been done properly to ensure we have been matched with a child who's birthparents relinquished her legally. I will continue to have faith that we were led in this direction for a reason. I cannot deny though, the cloud that seems to be hovering over our visit trip coming up next week. I knew saying goodbye to Ana after our visit would be hard, but it's taken to a whole new level now. I don't know if I can say goodbye to another baby.

2 comments:

beanhead said...

My heart aches for you. I am so mad that here I sit and can not do anything for you. I just want to go and shake someone into their senses. I do not know all there is to know, but who would not want to help children and make things more legal it makes sense to me.

Michael and Michelle said...

As you know my prayers and thoughts are with you always...however over the next several days I will be dedicating my prayer time, and rosary time to you and your darling little girl.

Catholics believe in the intervention of saints in prayer. We also beleive that we can go to our Mother Mary to intercede to her Son on our behalf for any of our needs. Mary knows the pain and trepidation you are feeling as well as the fear of the unknown. The rosary is a beautiful way to offer up our needs to her so that she can pray with us to her Son. Keep the faith my friend. I will also place your family on my prayer intentions through my bible study group!
I love you!
Michelle