Saturday, October 20, 2007

Those Little Orange Boxes...

I remember being in school and being handed those little orange boxes to trick-or-treat for UNICEF. I remember feeling proud that I could collect money to help children who didn't have the opportunities that I had. Those same little boxes that were so positive when I was younger have an entirely different meaning to me these days. Our town recently posted in their newsletter that the UNICEF boxes are available for families that would like to bring them around for trick-or-treat. I am now wrought with anxiety about having these children come to the door and having to tell them that I cannot donate. Guatadopt.com had a flyer that some have handed out in the past so I fiddled with it to come up with one that I will be handing out should we get any little orange boxes at our door. I am aware that there are good things UNICEF has done for children around the world, through vaccination, education and nutrition programs. Yet their stance on inter-country adoption threatens the welfare of the same children they claim to protect. Ending inter-country adoption without an adequate support system for abandoned or relinquished children would be disastrous for the lives of many children just like Ana.

4 comments:

Debbie said...

Great flyer!

beanhead said...

I will be printing them off with a little tweak to them so that I do not become Ana'a mummy, but will hand them out also.

Mimi to Ian, Liliana and Cooper said...

Dang nabbit, now I gotta write to Unicef..........grrrrrrrrr ohh and print out some flyers to hang around town

beanhead said...

Mimi I will see you in Guantanmo Bay