Friday, October 5, 2007

Catch up...

Hello again. I know I promised, and I did start this last night, really! Sorry you spent the night hitting the refresh button Mimi!
We arrived in Guatemala Thursday at 1:18pm and got through customs and baggage claim very easily. When we walked out the doors to the airport, there were hundreds of people waiting to greet their friends and family and people holding signs from taxi services and businesses. Talk about sensory overload! We were able to get to the area where we were to wait for our shuttle and didn't have to wait long before it came along. We got into our hotel room at about 2:30 and I immediately wanted to get unpacked so we didn't have to think about it once Ana was here. We were told she would be brought to us 2 to 4 hours after we arrived. I put together our gifts for the staff at the hogar, unpacked Ana's clothes, diapers and wipes and then waited. We didn't really know what to expect. We didn't know who was going to bring Ana to us and whether we would retrieve her in the lobby or if we should invite them up to our room (I had remembered somewhere reading that it is customary to offer your guests a drink from the mini bar), and what we should bring down when we went (we had donations from us for the hogar, the gifts for the caretakers and some things that were sent to us by our agency to bring along). The excitement to see Ana was, by itself, enough to make me crazy but with all the uncertainty about what to expect I was very nervous! We ended up getting the call at about 5:30 and we brought just the gifts for the caretakers down. The lobby was so busy, we had no idea where to go! We walked around aimlessly before noticing a woman with two children sitting by the window holding a little pink bundle with a tuft of sticky up black hair. The baby looked familiar, so we approached uncertainly. The woman turned out to be our attorney Dinora with two of her children. She had Ana's schedule written out for us and then asked if we had any questions about our case. She informed us that we are out of Family Court to our complete surprise and that she expects our case to enter PGN on Monday or Tuesday of this week! We were floored! Last we had heard it would be a few weeks probably before we even got out of family court. So this was just so exciting to hear. But back to the little pink bundle! I didn't cry, I'm shocked as I'm sure all of you who know me are. I think I was so panicked that I was going to do or say something that was going to unknowingly offend someone that I just didn't. But this little girl is sweeter than you can imagine! When Dinora handed her to me, she looked at me and smiled. As you all know I was slightly disappointed that in our last batch of pictures they didn't catch her smiling so this smile was amazing to see! We were told that Ana had just seen the doctor last week and she was continuing to do well. It was such a surreal experience, we walked into that lobby just the two of us and walked out with a baby. I can't explain how I felt! So we rushed back up to our room and immediately pulled her socks off to count her toes (there are indeed 10, in case you were wondering). She was so happy, just an angel baby! It's been an amazing two days, and even though Ana seems to battling a bit of a cold she is such a trooper! She eats well, about 4 ounces every 2.5-3 hours, she sleeps well, waking about two times through the night, and only cries when she's hungry or tired. She has the cutest little dimples and she plays with the hair on the back of her head when she is eating or falling asleep. Yesterday I heard her giggle, the sweetest sound! She gurgles and coos when you talk to her, and is just full of those sweet smiles! Oh, and by the way, those who know about my stressing out over what size she is wearing, I happily discovered that she is just in between the sizes that we brought so both are fitting her. We are so fortunate to have been here to see her at this stage. I just want to thank all of you who helped to make this visit possible. It is the most incredible gift you can imagine. We are so blessed with all the support and prayers everyone has had for us during this process. I have really felt all of your love and good wishes, so thank you from the bottom of our hearts!

9 comments:

Mimi to Ian, Liliana and Cooper said...

I am just overwhelmed with delight! Cammie the way you express yourself makes me feel I was there to witness these events.

This post and all these pictures make it all worth it!
I love those little pink shoes she has on :-)

Mimi

Nannie and Papa said...

Cammie,Greg & our darling little Ana,

Words cannot describe accurately the emotions we're feeling at this time after reading the blog. We cried, we laughed and most of all just stared at our darling little granddaughter Ana. As I write this tears are flowing down my cheeks; if only i could put into writing the feelings I have of you and greg there with Ana. We love you guys so much and the pride we have deep in our hearts would be hard to match of making Ana's story so magical! You two are remarkable and we love you so much. Ana, Nannie and Papa can't wait to hold you in our arms, she's truly an angel from above.

Love you guys soooo much,
Papa & Nannie

Michael and Michelle said...

Absolutely breathtaking...all of it. From the pictures to the words you write...breathtaking. I can feel the very center of my soul fill with happiness and joy over your experience. I've never witnessed anything like it. I look forward to the day I get to meet and hold that little bundle of love. She truly is a blessing for you, and you are a blessing for her as well. God bless all of you...love you.
Michelle

Anonymous said...

She is truelly amazing. I cannot even describe how excited we are for you. Alex was so funny, he couldn't wait to see the pictures because he needed to see her brown skin. All of the boys have been wonderful and are so happy to see baby Ana. Elizabeth was shouting and jumping up and down ( not sure if it is because there is finally someone smaller than her) Enjoy her and give her a kiss and hug for all of us.

Sharon said...

Ana es muy linda, muy bonita!!! Te quiero, Ana!

Con mucho besos y abrazo grande!!!

Sharito

ps: Te quiero mamma y pappa!!!

Cio!

beanhead said...

Thank you for your beautiful words. I feel like I was there with you. This is such a special time for you, Greg, and Ana, so for you to take the time to share it with us is very special. Thank you!!! Give Ana kisses and hugs from her crazy Auntie Renie. Ella is very excited to see the pictures. She wants to see Ana, I explained to her that you guys were far far away and she told me that we can just drive our car there. No concept for the distance. I love you.

Anonymous said...

Hi Guys!

Steven and I have been checking your website every day and honestly, I don't know if I even want to write this. I know that nothing will describe our emotions right now. She is so beautiful. She seems so content and happy with you.
I just wish you could bring her home now! I just want to squeeze her!
She is so beautiful, Steven said to me "Forget a baby of our own, let's get a baby from Guatemla!" He is such a dork! FYI: Milo is doing just fine. We were worried about Atlas but, they are like best friends that are both in love with Bella! They have been having a blast. Milo has been leaping up on the couch after Atlas and then Atlas dive bombs on top of Milo. Too cute!

Mimi to Ian, Liliana and Cooper said...

OK, Ian is sitting in the kitchen eating strawberry yogurt.....tells me he doesn't like that kind then takes a few more micro bites. I assure you I did not give him and strawberries......we left the fruit in the bottom of the container but I am sure the flavor is thoughout the yogurt. I told him there are strawberries in the nepolian (sp) ice cream sandwiches Bumpa buys him but he tells me they have no taste.....too cute.

So I tell him if he is having a hard time eating I can help him as I used to help his daddy too.......his eyes get big as saucers and he says "You feed adults?" And I tell him "No, when daddy was a boy sometimes he "needed help"" and Ian giggles!

Ian ate all the yogurt and truth be told I think he liked it but would never admit it to me :-)

So now he wants ice cream.....wish I had some nepolian sandwiches hahahaha but I don't, all I have is traditional ice cream sandwiches......maybe he earned two of them!!!!

I got a few pictures of him eating the yogurt too :-)

Mimi

Anonymous said...

Ana is ADORABLE!!! Thank you so much for taking the time to share such a special time. Everyone else has said it better here than I can - but these pictures will keep me smiling all day!