Thursday, June 19, 2008

My Little Graduate

Yes, the time has finally come for me to accept the fact that my baby will be going to 1st grade in the fall. I guess I can't keep him in kindergarten forever now can I? I am so very thankful that we decided to have him do kindergarten again this year, for so many reasons. I can definitely see that he is ready to take on a full day of school now whereas in the fall I don't know if we could have said that. He has come so far not only academically, but socially as well. I have absolutely seen an improvement in the way he interacts with his peers, and though he still lets his impatience show sometimes, he has those moments where I'm just taken aback by how he has matured over this last year. He just adores his teacher and in some strange twist of fate, she happened to be a woman both Greg and I knew when we were in high school. She is a simply amazing teacher and both he and I both wish she could teach him every year! She has just the right amount of structure in her classroom while letting my "out of the box" thinker develop his own thought processes. We are so happy he had his first public school experience in her class! Ian has been pretty blue these past couple weeks as we have counted down to the end of school only because he isn't going to see Mrs. Schreiber every day. So Kathy if you are reading this, we are so very thankful for you, you better still be teaching kindergarten when Ana enters school!

Okay, onto graduation pictures! He looked so handsome in that cap for the whole 3 minutes it remained on his head!


As soon as they started singing the first song ("Energy" by Laurie Berkner) the little boy behind him kept knocking his hat forward with the arm movements. Ian turned around and growled at him, and told him to stop it before locking eyes with me in the first row as I mouthed "Calm down, it's okay!" and hoped for the best! That's when the cap became a memory, he was very sure to hang onto his tassel though, he loved the tassel!



They went through their "Alphabet of favorite Kindergarten moments" and Ian got to carry the "P" poster across. The kids were getting pretty fidgety by now, but they hung in there!



Ian getting his diploma! He's holding the tassel up because he thought his teacher was going to take it away from him, she explained that she just wanted to shake his hand and we heard him say "Oh, okay".



The picture below is Ian with his beloved Mrs. Schreiber. Today was his actual last day of school and he had several moments where he'd get a really sad look on his face and say "I'm sad, you know why" and I'd reply "Mrs. Schreiber?" and he'd say "Yes..." He misses her so much already! It's going to be a long summer! Mrs. Schreiber assured him that they will see each other again and that maybe next year when he is a first grader he can come in to read to the new kindergarten class. He thought that was pretty cool, and so do I! We have yet to get through the video, but we'll post a snippet when I get a chance. So that's all for now folks! Summer vacation here we come!!

3 comments:

beanhead said...

Our little guy is so big now. I love the pictures he looks so cute.

Mimi to Ian, Liliana and Cooper said...

Jimney Christmas! Just what side of the family does that impatience come from??!!!!! :-)

Mimi to the great kid to ever graduate Kindergarden!

Michael and Michelle said...

I can't get over how much he has grown!! Wow, 1st grade next year...where does the time go?? Congratulations for your little mans accomplishment!