Sunday, June 15, 2008

Happy Father's Day!

Happy Father's Day to all the dads out there! Between my dad, Greg's dad and Greg himself, we have a very diverse, yet wonderful assortment of dad's here. We had a nice father's day this year, I hope Greg would agree. We started the day with one of Greg's favorite breakfasts, a ham and cheese omelet roll up after which Greg and Ian whisked themselves off to Chunky's to enjoy a movie together just father and son (Kung Fu Panda, they both seemed to really enjoy it). Ana and I stayed home and did some cleaning as I didn't think Ana would tolerate the movie theater very well! When they got home, we made our way over to my mum and dad's where we gorged ourselves on american chop suey, baked macaroni and cheese, salad and one of my mum's extra special desserts.

As an aside, my mum is famous for her food concoctions, especially when it comes to desserts. She's the one who will go to Friendlies and order a peanut butter cup sundae with mint chocolate chip ice cream and caramel sauce. She's just a fan of many different flavors and has no qualms about mixing them. So she tells us her ice cream cake concoction is crushed up cookies, chocolate chip ice cream, carrot cake ice cream (what?), whipped cream, and caramel sauce. So I decide to give it a try even though the carrot cake ice cream sounded a pretty strange addition. My sister and I took simultaneous bites and both looked at each other with the same confused expression. I seemed to be tasting orange somewhere in the mix. "Um, mum what kind of cookies did you use?" "orange, pineapple and chocolate". "So, there's chocolate cookie, chocolate chip ice cream, carrot cake ice cream, whipped cream, caramel sauce and orange and pineapple cookies all mixed together here?" Talk about overstepping the flavor combination line! Anyways, we all had a good laugh at my poor mum's expense as she served herself up a second bowl. As long as it's flavors she likes, they can be mixed any way!

We didn't actually see Greg's dad on Father's Day because we spent the day before with them where we presented his birthday/father's day gift from us, Greg's mum and his brothers; a trip to Alaska to visit Greg's brother Ed. He was very touched, so much so that he turned his back to us and we could tell by the way he was talking he was fighting back tears. Now I've been part of this family for quite some time. Greg and I started dating 16 years ago and I have never seen this man cry. It was really something to witness. Anyways, we had a really nice day and Greg especially enjoyed his "Amazing Dad" DVD that his mum bought for Ian and Ana to give him. Ian is enjoying it too, he's watched it about 9 times already. Now if we could just get Greg to stop parading around the house announcing "Amazing Dad" every time he enters the room or flushes the toilet, well that would be something now wouldn't it?!

All kidding aside Greg, you really are an "Amazing Dad".
Thanks for all you do for our family, we love you so much!

2 comments:

Mimi to Ian, Liliana and Cooper said...

We are all very blessed to have one another!

Mimi

Nannie and Papa said...

I tried that dessert the next day and feel it was just as you said..... too many flavours. Oh well...you win some...you lose some.

So good to see everyone on father's Day. My favorite time is when we are all together.

Love you, Mum