Wednesday, January 14, 2009

You know your day is off to a bad start when...

It starts like this:

12:15am lumber up to bed (I hate going to bed when Greg isn't home, I put if off as long as I can!)
12:45am Ana wakes up screaming, I go in, and too tired to deal, bring her into bed with me.
2:30am Tired of eyeball poking and the incessant "mama, mama, mama, mama...." I tell her that she needs to go to her own bed. We rock for a bit, I put her down and get back into bed about 2:45.
3:14 Screaming again. I realize that even though at some level I knew the upset was over teething issues that I neglected to give her some Tylenol, so I do just that, and bring her back to my bed until it kicks in.
3:42 put her back in her bed because she is insistent on waking Ian by bashing him in the head with the cordless phone I am sleeping with (I told you I hate being home alone!)
3:59 more screaming. We rock for a little while longer, put her down and immediate screaming ensues. I'm done. I wrap her up in her blanket, swaddle style and bring her back to my bed, determined that she will keep her hands to herself. As my head hits the pillow, I hear a strange noise coming from the hallway...it's the dog. He's drinking out of the toilet. A pee pee filled toilet. I know this because after putting Ana in her bed the last time, I used it and was afraid to flush and get her going again. I'm too tired to care. Ana finally falls asleep and I don't feel or hear another thing until 6:15 when my alarm goes off.
7:15 peel myself out of bed after hitting the snooze button repeatedly over the past hour, and reluctantly start my day with a headache for the second day in a row.

Is your 18 month old wreaking havoc on your house? I am feeling seriously overwhelmed this week. A big part of it has to do with the fact that my dear husband left at o' dark thirty on Sunday morning to go to Seattle for work, but Ana is PURE TROUBLE! Seriously, she goes from one thing to the next. While I'm picking up from one incident she has already moved on to the next. It's 10:30 in the morning and she hasn't touched a single toy, only things that she's not supposed to touch. This age sticks out in my mind as being hard when Ian was younger but I really don't remember this much naughtiness!! Now, it's been 6 years since he was that age, so maybe I'm just not fully remembering, I don't know. All I do know is that this week I feel like pulling my own hair out might be more fun than dealing with monkey pants here. My house is a mess (which only makes everything worse; more for her to get into, and just an immediate feeling of chaos when I get up in the morning), I feel like I'm just keeping my head above water here. Sorry for the negativity. I swear I will catch up someday, it just won't be today. As I finally get around to posting this, Ana is clinging to my leg crying because I yelled at her. Why did I yell? She finished her lunch and I let her down out of her high chair, and while I was emptying the left overs into the trash (so Milo won't knock the tray off the high chair spilling food all over the kitchen AGAIN), she makes a bee line for the baby who is sleeping soundly in the living room (which was a feat in and of itself, he was completely sure he didn't need to sleep today) and sees it her duty to wake him up by probing his eyelids. Here's to yet another nap time countdown day.

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

I used to have 5 kids from 10-19 months when I worked at the Montessori center. The worst was fire drills - herding them all out the door. There were days when I'd have two in each arm, trying to nudge the one who could walk in front of me in the right direction. I also had to feed 5 at a time and put 5 down for nap at a time. I'm content being a babysitter as needed for friends, I don't need my own full time!

-Carol

Anonymous said...

I'll be home on Friday. :)
Love ya
Greg

terrikran1969 said...

Believe it or not things will get better. I'm still waiting for that day and my youngest is 12! To make you feel better I tell you my horror stories.
Sarah: Covered her dresser in vasline,she also got hold of syrup and covered the living room carpet.
Christine: cut off all of hr cousins hair.
Joey: I had to take for stitches 5 times before he was 5.
Becky: I stepped on the porch to watch the kids walk to the bus stop and Becky filled the fish tank with bread.
Things will get better and always remember there's another mom out there with kids worse than your own
Terri

Nannie and Papa said...

I feel for you baby but it will be better. I promise. I remember Steven climbing up the lay susan many times......
getting into the fridge and taking out a bottle of soda and hot dogs and finding him sitting in the middle of the kitchen floor haveing a grand old time. I also remember Michelle thinking she was cleaning the bathroom with talcom powder....it was quite a mess. I can't remeber you getiing into anything but I know you did..
Keep the faith.

Love, mum

Amanda said...

Oh Cammie, this too shall pass. I know, it's easier said, but don't sweat the small stuff. The house is a mess and the kids need to be fed, feed the kids ;) Greg can clean the house when he gets home on Friday!

Olivia colored with marker on our brand new ottoman and Benjamin fed the dogs our play wooden food, which they proceeded to chew to bits. I left the trash open with Kendall's poop diaper in it, which the dogs also chewed to bits (gag and damn those disposable diapers).

Tomorrow is another day. Why not have a sleepover at Nannie and Papa's house :) Just kidding!

Amanda said...

Well, I wasn't really kidding, that's what I do when I start to feel overwhelmed. I go to my parents house!

beanhead said...

I think it was my Mom who told me that there will always be a lot of love in my house, but there may not always be a lot of like. These times come and go as we talked about earlier. I have personally been there and feel like there is no end, but it will get better.
Now on to Greg, I believe this calls for a Mommy day off on Saturday. She needs to go to a quite place for coffee and relax for a while then come home and have you help clean the house then have a relaxing day on Sunday with her whole family having fun. Got the orders.

Anonymous said...

Greg clean the house!?!?!?!

hmmm.....let's re-think that

-Greg

Debbie said...

I'm living a very similar life right now, although Dave is not currently out of town. Lili loves to play with all the things I don't necessarily want her playing with.

I've started reading a book called "Raising Our Children, Raising Ourselves" and I'm learning quite a bit about myself. As a result of what I'm learning about me, I'm becoming more and more able to deal with those moments that you are describing.

Hang in there, this too shall pass.

Susan said...

oh, Cammie, I feel for you, but I can say, it is SOOOOO nice to know that I'm not alone! I have those days with Luis quite a bit these days. I love him to pieces, but some days . . . . yikes! he drives me crazy. the look in his eyes when for the 4th time I ask him not to throw something and then he does anyway! so, know that you are not alone either!

Kathy G. said...

Hi Cammie, I can relate to your frustrations! Caylee is doing the exact same thing as Ana. It must be the age and ambition of the Guatemalan Children!!! LOL! They never stop do they? Some days I just want to pull my hair out. Caylee is very prosistant! Do it now or else! Turned to screaming at us to get her way! (recon that's spoiled or what?!) She is worse then a hurricane when it comes to the house! She climbs up everything! I definately find it hard to go to the bathroom and come back on a good note. Hoping this phase doesn't last long...thinking of you!