Thursday, September 25, 2008

It's broken...

Ian's heart, that is. On Monday morning his fish "Beta" died. He got the fish for Christmas in 2006. I had noticed that since the weather got cooler that he was looking droopy so I moved him upstairs. He didn't seem to get any better, and wasn't eating so I bought some medication to put in the water in case he was fighting some sort of infection. That was Sunday, and on Monday morning he was floating belly up. Poor Ian, I don't think any one realized how much he loved that fish! He cried big old tears when we found him. He wanted to help me flush him, and I watched his eyes well up again as he tried to fight back his tears. It was just genuine sadness, and it killed me! I thought he was doing okay, but last night, a good hour after he was in bed (I thought he was sleeping!), I heard him crying. When I went to investigate, his face was all teary as he explained to me how one of the songs at the end of his Magic Tree House book on cd reminded him of Beta and he really missed him. He was sobbing! I laid down and cuddled with him for a while, and he told me that the song was about how the two children in the book were saying goodbye to someone and were sad because they didn't want to leave. Ian told me he didn't want Beta to leave, and he didn't really get to say goodbye. His little heart is still aching, and there's nothing I can do to make it better.

6 comments:

Debbie said...

Tell Ian I'm very sorry to hear about his Beta. We had a 38 gallon aquarium and I was always sad when we lost one of our fish so I know how he feels.

beanhead said...

That breaks my heart. Please tell Ian I am sorry.

Mimi to Ian, Liliana and Cooper said...

My heart broke reading this.....my poor little Ian I am so sorry you had to learn this harsh life lesson.

It reminds me of the first pet I ever lost, a cat named Penny.........boy did I cry, I made my father have a funeral/public burial for Penny and bless his heart he did it for me.

Mimi loves you Ian

Amanda said...

My heart hurts reading about your baby boy's broken one... I can only imagine how you feel not being able to fix this boo boo with a kiss and a band aid.

Nannie and Papa said...

Poor Ian! I feel so bad for him. Each day will get a little better.


Nanee and Papa love you soooooo much

Kathy G. said...

AWWWW...that is so sad!! Poor Ian!
Kathy G.