Friday, September 26, 2008

Favorite Photo Friday

I is for Ian
(of course!)

My growing up too fast, doesn't cuddle often enough, suddenly doesn't need doggie to go to sleep at night (seriously, that is killing me....) new first grader, just turned seven year old boy! Where the heck did the time go?!



This is Ian enjoying his requested birthday breakfast of pizza! I think he was very pleased to wake up to the smell of pizza. Ana was thrilled too, 'cause you know she was having no part of her cheerios and fruit after seeing brother having pizza!

I is also for Improvisation

Which is what Ian's birthday was all about this year. I have always tried my best to have really cool, themed birthday parties (I enjoy planning them!), and I've always been able to get Ian to agree to something I can come up with neat ideas for. Well, this year he was insistent on having a Bakugan birthday party. I have to tell you, I was bummed. For those of you who are thinking, "Baku-what?!", these things are the hottest thing in Ian's peer group at the moment. Which makes them equivalent to Cabbage Patch Dolls when I was a kid...you cannot find them ANYWHERE! This makes planning a Bakugan themed party extremely difficult. I searched everywhere to figure out how to make a Bakugan cake, and found a very cool one here. Greg was pretty sure we could come up with a pretty good version so I let him be the sculptor, and I would be the decorator. It was actually looking good for a while, but lets just say things didn't work out as planned and Greg's creation crumbled at about 11pm the night before the party. He was subsequently up until 1 am making cupcakes (without cupcake wrappers - they were not pretty!). So that left us with mounds of half frosted, crumbled cake, and a pile of lumpy looking cupcakes...I was freaking out! I remembered reading something somewhere about cake balls, so I did some research and found that they are made by mixing crumbled cake with frosting (okay, step one done!) then forming balls and coating them in chocolate...BINGO, that's what I was going to do. I could even make them look like Bakugan balls (the party planner in me started to perk up)! So to make a long story a little shorter, we wake up on Ian's birthday still with nothing final. Cake balls aren't done, we still have a plate full of deformed cupcakes, and the pinata Greg started late the day before is still drying in the garage. My mum comes over to help me make the balls (they were a mess, and they were kind of yucky to top it off), and we try and salvage the cupcakes by slicing off the tops, cutting them in half and perching them atop the cupcake bottoms like wings (you have to see a Bakugan to understand, even so they looked nothing like them). Greg and Ian went about finishing the pinata (a very interesting design), figuring out goody bags, and planning the party games. Everything was ready by the time the party started, and everyone seemed to have a good time but I was just so disappointed how everything turned out. Ian said he had the best birthday ever, so I guess that's all that really matters, right? Anyways, here's some pictures from the day. Please be gentle about my ugly confections, I'm still fragile!

The collapsed Bakugan cake:



The cupcakes. That plop of frosting in the front is supposed to be a head. We started with tootsie rolls for that purpose, it just made the cupcakes look like pooping bums...it was very, very disappointing.


Ian decorating the cake balls. He seemed to have a lot of fun writing everyone's names on them (at least they were good for something!).



The pinata:



Ian blowing out his candles:



The youngest guest, isn't he just the cutest little guy?!



Ian running around the house to express how much he loved his presents. He was very happy, in case you couldn't tell. Mimi and Bumpa, Nannie and Papa, Greg and I all chipped in to get him a Wii. We've had it for over a month, and I was starting to freak out because the only thing he was asking for was Bakugan. He was so excited though. And the icing on the cake was that he also received a couple gift certificates to get some Bakugan when they become available again, a Bakugan launcher, and Auntie Shel and Uncle Mike miraculously found a "Bakurack" (a Bakugan case) that he had been dying for. He also got a Cranium game, some K'nex, Legos, a bag of cool goodies from Gramma Char and Grampa Scot, and an I-Dog that he was equally excited about.



All in all, for as stressed out as I was about it all, he had a really great day, and really that's all I can ask for. I will say though, never again with I have his birthday party on his actual birthday. I really felt bad about being grumpy for a good part of the morning of his birthday, just because I felt things weren't coming together. Lesson learned!

9 comments:

Amanda said...

It sounds perfect, Cammie! I'm glad it all worked out.

beanhead said...

The kids do not seem to be as much of a perfectionist as we are. It is hard to keep in mind. If we looked at their bithday's like they do it would be a much eaiser job on us. Easier said then done. Every year I am up til the wee hours of the morning doing a cake. We are who we are. And people loves us that way.

Mimi to Ian, Liliana and Cooper said...

Please put doggy in a fire proof locked vault with a combination that ONLY select few know........because if doggy gets lost or thrown out in years to come you will hear about it over and over and over even when Ian is 34 years old.....right Greg??!!!!

:-)

Nannie and Papa said...

It was a wonderful party and everything turned out perfect.

You are way too hard on yourself Cammie.

Love, Mum

Debbie said...

I hope you are able to go back and read this post one day with a smile on your face and get a good laugh out of it.

I'm so glad Ian had a great birthday.

Parent Coordinator said...

Cammie...it sounds like a great birthday :) My son is into Bakugan as well and wanted some for his birthday but we couldn't find them anywhere. By the way, I love the creativity with the cupcakes and balls. Well done.

Anonymous said...

My almost-seven-year-old has asked for a Bakugan party this year. I, too, love to have a really cool theme, plan games and activities around it, and top it all off w/ a really cool cake. Like you, I'm struggling w/ this theme. I've got until 11/8/08 to pull it all together. Wish me luck!!!

Melinda said...

Oh...you have brought tears to my eyes with laughter!! I feel your pain. I have a six year old wanting a bakugan cake. I love your creativity!!! I am so a perfectionist and have had your same kind of party!! I do hope you can look at this later with a smile!

Anonymous said...

Just wanted to let you know that I am entering bakugan land for a party as well and it is not pretty. I guess I'll keep looking.