Monday, January 21, 2008

Still Here!

I'm still here, in case you were wondering! I can't believe it's been over a week since my last post, I guess I was just taking a bit of a hiatus from the computer, we were becoming far too intimate, spending more time together than even Greg and I! It's been an interesting week. On one hand I've been walking on clouds, just thinking about how close we are getting to bringing Ana home. I've been working on her room (I'll post pictures when it's complete) and I completed a baby sweater I had been working on for her (my first garment, I'm so pleased! pics of that soon as well). I've been searching for the perfect coming home outfit, and making lists of all the things we'll need for our trip. It's very exciting and I feel a little bit like I've been nesting. At the same time, I've been following not only the latest news on Guatemalan adoptions, but there have been two tragic stories on blogs that I follow that have been weighing heavily on my mind. So to catch you up on what's been going on in my brain...

First and foremost two of the blogs I follow could really use our thoughts and prayers. Will and Aileen (Adopting Ariana) were in the process of adopting Ariana from Guatemala and actually had not long ago returned from a visit trip to meet her. They received the call no parent should ever have to endure last week. Their precious Ariana had contracted pneumonia and had passed away. I cannot imagine the pain this couple is in, and ask that you think of them and offer up a prayer for them to find peace with the loss of this little girl they loved so much. I'm also asking for your thoughts for the Goff family (Journey to Caylee). They have endured a horrific family tragedy this weekend as a family member in Florida was kidnapped and murdered. Please keep them in your prayers as well.

As far as Guatemalan adoptions are concerned, it seems like things for the Central Authority have plugged along nicely this past week. New people were appointed, and the process for registration was announced, this means all cases that were waiting to be submitted or resubmitted will soon be allowed to do so. It seems like cases are continuing to come out of PGN, I'm still waiting for my friend Debbie (World of Weeks) to get out. She just came back from a second visit trip, go take a look at her site, her daughter Lili is adorable! The country also welcomed their new president Alvaro Colom, inaugurated last Monday. The last thing I'd like to mention is the recent press about adoptions from Guatemala. It seems like bad press seems to constantly surround the process. I don't wear rose colored glasses, and I am aware that there are shady adoptions that do happen (they actually happen everywhere!), but the majority are done ethically. There was a piece on Dateline last night about Guatemala adoption. I completely spaced the time, and missed the show, but hear it largely focused on the horror stories. If you are interested in a well balanced view of the Guatemala adoption process, a great site to visit is www.guatadopt.com.

Now to mention my continuing absolute addiction to Nate, Tricia and Gwyneth's story that has truly made me stop in my tracks and really think about my own beliefs. I've long been just kind of not fully there when it comes to religion. I have always believed in God, I believe there is a plan for all of us, and a reason for everything that happens. I live my life basically just trying to be a kind and generous person, but I haven't really spoken to God in a long time and I'll admit to being a special occasion only church goer. Since I have read their story, it is constantly on my mind. Everything looks a little different, I don't know how to explain it. All I can say is that I feel myself evolving, and it is a good thing. If you haven't read their story yet, I highly recommend it. You will be amazed, you will be enlightened, you will be touched, I guarantee it.

So no, we haven't dropped off the edge of the planet, we are indeed still here...lot's going on, but difficult to put it all to words. More to come soon, I promise!

5 comments:

Amanda said...

Cammie,
Thank you for the update. I will pray for your adoption friends. I saw Dateline the other night and it alerted me to how many people out there are going through what you are.

I, too, have been addicted to the Tricia, Nate & Gwyneth blog. It has opened my eyes and my heart in a way I can't quite explain.

I continue to pray for you every day!

Gail said...

It was nice to hear from you again. I know what you mean about a relationship with the computer. Thankfully, I have no husband. LOL
Gail

beanhead said...

I am glad you are back. My thoughts have been with all of these families. Dateline was eye opening. Tricia, Nate and Gwyneth have been an adiction of mine also. Again another story that is chaning my life.

Debbie said...

It has been amazing to me that I've found so many wonderful friends through this process. Our lives have been touched by many and I've become so invested in other's journeys as well. I check your blog every day awaiting more information and look forward to the day when I read you are on your way to pick up your precious Ana.

Anonymous said...

Hi Cammie,
I am so excited for you and Greg. Adoption is something I have long been interested in. Being a parent is amongst the greatest joys in life.

You are right about God having a plan for each one of us. Things happen in His time and way, not ours. It is great that you have come to examine your relationship with God. It is never to late. My kids don't always love going to church on Sundays, but they have made new friends as well as learn about the good Lord. As a child I always went to church. Probably why I still like going. The earlier you introduce you kids to it, the better. It is a little toughter on the older kids.

Good luck on the next and final faze of the adoption. I can't wait to see her.

Tanya