Wednesday, January 5, 2011

Day 5 - Toss Up

So, after I got the littles in bed tonight, I challenged Ian to a game of Toss Up, a dice game he received for Christmas. Neither of us had played before, but it was pretty easy to figure out, and we had a really fun time! The basic idea is that there are 10 dice with red, yellow and green faces on them. The goal is to earn points based on the number of greens you roll (1 point per green) and to be the first to get over 100 points. On your turn, the 10 dice are rolled, and you have the choice to take those points rolled and end your turn or to set the greens aside and roll the remaining dice to try for more points. You can keep rolling as long as you want, and should you roll 10 greens, you can start again by rolling all ten again, thereby adding to your score, there is no limit. The catch though is that if on any roll, you don't get any greens, and you roll one or more reds, your turn is over and you lose the points you were accumulating on that turn. I only explain the rules to the game so you will better understand this picture:



He had wracked up 49 points and had decided to risk rolling that last dice to try for 50.
Ooops.
He was devastated!

While I would love to use that picture for my 365 project, I promised Ian I wouldn't, so I won't.

So here's the one I will actually use, even though I don't love it. I had to break out the flash, and set the camera to auto to get the shot (I really need to read that flash manual!); and it ended up overexposed anyways. I'll probably try this again in natural light, maybe with real numbered dice and in black and white? We'll see.



One thing's for sure, there will be more Toss Up competitions for us!

3 comments:

Amanda said...

Sometimes you just have to do what you have to do to get the shot. I like it! I love Toss Up! My family loves games, my husband not so much. I love that photo of Ian devastated. I have similar ones of my kids ;)

Debbie said...

You are so creative with your photos. Hopefully I'll become more creative as the year goes on. Right now I'm just happy that I've managed to take at least one picture a day :-)

Toss Up sounds like a lot of fun. Right now we're playing a lot of Candy Land in our house.

akmuddturt1e said...

u take some really great pics. Cammie. i like the one where ian rolled the red. u should use that one. the pic is perfect exspeacially now because u explained the rules. that pic is deffinately worth a thousand words!