Monday, April 7, 2008

The Gas Man and The Bleach Sniffer

I can't believe it's been another week since I last posted! The truth is, there's not a whole lot of things to write about here, and quite honestly, I'm happy for that! Last week was our first week back to normal. Greg returned to work, Ian was in school and I found myself trying to figure out how to try and work ourselves into a routine of sorts. Of course after being couped up for two weeks, I was quite ready to just get out of the house so that's actually what I did. I visited my mum at work who was just dying to show off her grand-daughter, and visited with a friend who has a daughter Ana's age (as a matter of fact, Ian is very good friends with her oldest daughter as well). It was a nice week, but it did nothing for my getting a routine in place! Dinners ended up being sandwiches and scrambled eggs and the like. Laundry is stacked up in giant dirty piles in the basement and in a few neatly folded piles in my bedroom (which are slowly getting knocked over one by one as Ian is looking for something to wear in the morning). Nobody was complaining mind you, but I'm really hoping to get myself caught up this week and back into a routine (which I confess I haven't been on for a very long time!). Sitting in a cluttery mess has the unfortunate side effect of putting me in a foul mood, poor Greg!

Anyways, to get around to the title of my post. I swear my family is going to become famous in the ER. Besides our whole post visit to Guatemala double date in the ER, I thought I'd share a couple other doosies with you all. A couple years ago, Greg had a gas powered remote control car. I can't even remember what he was trying to do, but it had something to do with siphoning gas into the tiny car's engine. Well, the gas back flowed right into his mouth so we called poison control to see what we should do. They told us we needed to go to the ER. Upon our arrival to the ER Greg told them what he was there for and they replied, "Oh you're the gas man!". He's been teased about that on and off since! The only reason this popped into my mind today is that yesterday my mother had a similar brain lapse of a moment that resulted in an ER visit. She was getting ready to get into the hot tub when she noticed that the chemical bottles were out in the open all wet so she decided to check and see if they were okay. How did she do this? She removed the top, held it directly under her nose and SNIFFED it! This immediately resulted in her throat burning and her chest tightening up (she has asthma as well) so off they went to the ER where she received an albuterol treatment and the third degree about sniffing household chemicals; "Now Dorothy, I have to ask this. Did you sniff the chemicals on purpose?" he asked her. She replied "well of course not!" Too bad they didn't call poison control ahead of time. I can just see her entering the ER and being asked "Are you the bleach sniffer?"!

7 comments:

Debbie said...

Sometime I'll have to share some Dave stories with you. LOL!

I'm also glad to hear that I'm not the only one having trouble getting into a routine. Although I have to say that it's more of trying to get Lili into a routine which isn't working out so well. She's only going to be little like this one time, so I'm just going to enjoy it and try not to worry about everything else that's not getting done. Not sure how that's going to work out this week since we're having an open house this week for all our friends and family to come see her.

beanhead said...

Oh my you guys just kill me. I think they should name a wing of the hospital after you. We have a Varga wing out here. Routines and a clean house are important, but Debbie is right. Ana will only be this age once so live it up. Keep the house clean so that you have your sanity, but just suck in every moment you have with her. LIVE IT UP GIRLS!!!!!!

Michael and Michelle said...

Don't be so hard on yourself. Life with kids never has a specific routine. And, even if your lucky enough to pin one down, something comes along...like a virus...gas men...bleach sniffers, or several warm days in a row...and your "routine" is all blown out again. Ana will get used to the craziness in her life...and be that much better for it. Let's face it...life is one day at a time...one surprise at a time. Enjoy...and if your kiddos and family are all lovingly tucked into their beds, or yours :), at night...I'd say you've been successful!! Love ya!

Mimi to Ian, Liliana and Cooper said...

No honorable mention for "RINGO"????

HAHAHAHAHA

Sharon said...

I have to ask...what is RINGO??? Does this have anything to do with a vacuum cleaner hose???

Anonymous said...

No, RINGO has to due with a Wedding Ring and a car key
--Greg

Nannie and Papa said...

No more bleach sniffing for me. Actually it was granulated chlorine bleach. Still not good. Anyway. It's a funny story now. Greg's gas story is good too and so is the ring one.

Love, Mum