Tuesday, March 11, 2008

The Crying Game

Hi everyone, it's Cammie. It's been a very long, wonderful yet exhausting day. As you know, we got to the hotel and received a call an hour earlier than expected that Ana had arrived! I was so caught off guard! She's as gorgeous as I remembered her, just bigger in size. When she gets more used to us, I can't wait to nibble on her chunky baby thighs! It's 7:30 here and it's very quiet for the first time in several hours. Poor Ana is having a really hard time, she cried for a couple hours straight a while ago. God bless Michelle for taking Ian out to the pool to swim while we tried our best to console her. There is just unfortunately nothing we can do to help her. She's scared, and confused, and just miserable. It's been very difficult to hear your baby cry and know that there's nothing you can do to help, and furthermore, that seeing you, or having you hold her makes things worse. We ended up walking up and down the hallway, with her facing out bouncing and she seemed to be able to calm down and when we returned to the room, was so much happier. Coming from a hogar, I'm sure Ana spends her share of time in her crib, and is not held a lot. We didn't receive a crib until about an hour ago, and when it arrived, she reached for it. We put her in, and she's been happy as a clam, and in fact, I just checked and she is currently sleeping peacefully, hallelujah! I felt so sad for her earlier, she was just so upset, so overwhelmed. I totally expected this on some level, but it's been a lot harder than I thought it would be. I know we are not alone though, there are herds of other adoptive parents walking the halls tonight as well, I can currently hear three separate cries coming from various directions. Anyways, just wanted to update you all, wish I had some pictures to share, here's hoping she is feeling better tomorrow. Well, I'm going to join the sleeping masses now, we are all completely wiped out. Oh and by the way, Ian appears to be completely smitten with his new baby sister. He told Greg though that he wished she didn't cry so much, I guess we're all on the same page there. Nighty night everyone :)

10 comments:

Mimi to Ian, Liliana and Cooper said...

Awwwwwwwwww!!!! Cammie she will adjust and one thought I had was could she also be teething?

I am so excited and happy for you...how many hours do you expect her to sleep before needing another bottle?

I feel you must have felt when you were stalking the Fedex man.....I just keep clicking refresh, refresh, refresh, looking for more news and pictures (hint, hint!)

Sleep well my dear as a good sleep will be at a premium now hahaha

Love Mimi

Michael and Michelle said...

Oh my goodness, my heart breaks for her and you. It's never easy to hear your baby cry...especially when you try to comfort her and it just doesn't seem to help. She will feel your love though, and even through her confusion that is what will help her...and you...through these difficult moments. My prayers, and thoughts are with you...just kiss and love, and love some more.

Anonymous said...

I am so happy for you, to finally have her in your arms and with your family. You were there for her when she was sad and crying and that is what counts, that is part of the bonding she needs. Tomorrow's a new day. I hope it's a little less sad for her.

Your NH and Guatemala pals,
Susan and Luis

Debbie said...

Life will be very different tomorrow after a good nights sleep.

I'll be anxiously watching for more blog posts.

beanhead said...

My heart breaks for you guys and Ana. I know everyone else has said this, but the amount of love you guys have for her, will bring her though this difficult time and she will come through it with the knowledge that she has a very loving family. Thinking of you all tonight. I love you!!!!

Nannie and Papa said...

Everything will be better after a good nights sleep. She will adjust quickly and will very soon bond as you are wonderful parents. We are all thinking about you and eagerly awaiting more titbits of news. Sooooo happy you are with your little girl. It has been a long time coming but now you can enjoy her to the fullest. What a good Auntie Schell is. Give everyone a kiss from all of us here. Love you sooooo muc.

Mum

Marcia said...

Hi Cammie & gang! Lots of love to you all, and best wishes for a fabulous new day. One step at a time, you are doing great and Ana is too. By the end of the week you will probably be her only memory and by the time you get home it will be even better. Thank you SO much for keeping us all posted! Love you - Marcia

Kelly said...

Hugs and kisses work! I am sure she will get plenty! Beautiful pics! Congrats to the family! You deserve the best! We will be waiting for a call!

xoxo

Kelly and girls

Gail said...

Cammie,
I hope you do get some sleep. I will be praying for Ana and her adjustment.
Gail

Sharon said...

Yes, the crying must be impossible to endure...but on the upside now you know she has healthy lungs!!! ; ) Here's hoping thta that was the worst of it!