Tuesday, December 16, 2008

Holy Moly!

It's been a while since I posted! We're still here, and we've weathered the recent New England ice storm. We were very fortunate that we were only out of power for a little over 24 hours. We spent Friday without power, and bailed after Greg got out of work as the house dipped to 57 degrees. Greg's parent's were kind enough to let us, along with Greg's brother spend the night in their living room. They have a generator so they have heat, their refrigerator, and a little light so we played dominoes and made the best of it! Up until yesterday, we were the only ones in our family with power; but as of today, everyone except Greg's parents have been restored, so we're hoping that today will be their day! There are still about 150,000 people waking up without power this morning in NH. The damage this storm caused is unbelievable, you can still drive down almost any road and see the evidence. Our school is still set up as shelter, and the Emergency Alert System is still being being played throughout the day to urge people to seek warmth. We have had people from all over the US (I think there were trucks from Canada as well) come and help the electric companies gain some ground and I was so disheartened to hear Greg tell me the story he heard on the radio yesterday of the man who called the electric company and was so angered by his power not being returned, that he told the operator that he wished death upon him and his family. It's unimaginable how someone could be so cruel, there's just no excuse for it. Sure it's frustrating to be without power but these people are working their butts off to get the job done! So today I'm thankful for warmth, for the safety of my family and friends, and for the thousands of people who have left their families at such a busy time of year to help those who have been so affected by the storm.

More updates coming soon, with pictures I promise!

7 comments:

Nannie and Papa said...

I also am very thankful and feel fortunate that we have power back. Some of the people working to get our power back did not have power at their own homes so it must be even harder for them. All I can say is, thank you!! thank you!! thank you!!

Nannie and Papa said...

Love the new picture cammie

beanhead said...

I am so glad to hear that all in your family are well. Prayers and warm thoughts go out to all the others. Please let us know if there is anything that we can do to do help. Is there any donations sites that need anything?

Amanda said...

I am glad you have your power back! My Mom still does not have it so she will be spending another night with us. She has been here since Friday! It's nice to have her here, but I know she is getting frustrated. We never lost power and I feel very lucky and fortunate.

Karla said...

Hi Cammie, I'm so glad that you and your family are ok! Your so right, so much to be thankful for and shame on those who think otherwise!
I've been reading your blog since we all came home from Guatemala with the kids. I can't post from home (dial up, URG) but am on my laptop getting some much needed wireless therapy!!! YEA!!! Just wanted to pop in a message to say how beautiful the kids are... and I'm so happy all is well.
Karla (Rylan's mom) at http://rylansjourneyhome.blogspot.com

Kathy G. said...

Oh man! Sorry to hear about the storm! I knew it as bad up there but I didn't know it was you that was in it! I am so praying that all gets back to normal soon and hope all stay well!

Debbie said...

I was wondering about you and am glad to hear everyone is safe and warm.