Thursday, July 19, 2007

Blast Off!



Ian and I bought Greg a model rocket for his birthday. It never ceases to amaze me how I can buy presents that are equally suited to my 5 year old and my 33 year old! He's such a big kid, but that's one of the things I love most about him and what I think makes him such a great dad! Anyways, he was very excited to try it out. He and Ian worked diligently to assemble it; Greg was in charge of super glue, Ian was in charge of decorating it (good choice daddy!). The park was just too busy to launch this weekend so we took a ride down after dinner last night and it was completely empty so we went for it. The first two tries were a bust, and Greg was puzzled. He got out the instructions and confirmed that everything was set up correctly so he decided to change motors and ignitors. That was the ticket, Ian's countdown was this time followed by a hiss and a lot of smoke! The rocket ended up landing in some trees and we had to do some hunting but it was found safe and sound. If we had more motors with us we would have tried again but we didn't so Ian is anxiously awaiting the next time we go. The kit we bought Greg had two rockets in it. The one we did last night shoots to 1400 feet, the other to about 600 but that one has a parachute on it so I am excited to see that one go. Maybe I'm just a big kid too!

No comments: