Monday, June 11, 2007

Goodbyes


Goodbyes are always hard. Yesterday Ian "graduated" from the kindergarten program at Fremont Early Learning Environment and even he, at five years old was feeling sad that he was saying goodbye to his very loved teachers. The goodbye party was held at the "big school" (elementary) where Ian will attend the public kindergarten program in the fall, yes kindergarten again. His birthday is at the end of September and he just makes the cut-off for first grade. We just wanted to give him that extra year, we hear from people who have made the same decision that they wouldn't have done it differently. Maybe it won't be evident now or next year, but when he's in eighth grade dealing with peer pressure (probably earlier nowadays!) maybe he'll just be that much more mature to make the right decisions. And it made me cringe to think I would be sending him off to college (if he chooses it!) at age 17. School is hard enough, we just want to give him every advantage we can! Anyways, back to the goodbye party! It was so cute, the kids performed a little concert which included songs like "Magalena Hagalena" (very funny), the Chicken Dance and "You are a miracle", and as if that last one didn't make me cry enough, they completed the program with a "Goodbye friends" song, oh my gosh....
We really are sad to say goodbye to the school and the teachers. Ian attended pre-school there as well and everyone is so amazing. I'm also sad for Ian that all but 1 or 2 of his friends will be going on to 1st grade and he won't be, but then I really do think we are making the best decision for his success in school. He'll still see them, and he'll make new friends right?! I think part of the sadness for me is that at the moment we have no other children that will be taking part in these things. I know we will, but you see other families that have one child leaving kindergarten and one entering pre-school seamlessly. We really are saying goodbye to these people for a few years. It all goes by so super fast, just like everyone tells you but you just don't understand it until it happens to you! In a few short months he's going to turn 6 and it seems like just yesterday we were teaching him how to walk! I've already made him promise that he'll still cuddle with me when he's 10, and I'm holding him to it...maybe I should get it in writing!
It was really a great day and Nannie, Papa and Mimi were there with us to celebrate! We are very proud of you Ian, and love you so very much!

2 comments:

beanhead said...

Congratulations Ian!!!!
Uncle Luke and I are very proud of you.

Nannie and Papa said...

Papa and I loved your performance Ian. What a great day.

Love you

Nanee