Tuesday, June 30, 2009

Regret

I'd have a hard time even recalling the past few weeks for our family. I know we went camping over the June 12th weekend up in Freedom NH at Danforth Bay Campground. It was a wet weekend but we still had fun with our family and Amy's (my brother Stevie's wife) family. It's always a good time when we all get together. I also know the next weekend we had my sister's baby shower which we pulled off pretty well despite our last minute planning. I will blog again about these events, but the thing we've been consumed with over the past few weeks was the downslide in health of my Grandpa that started that very wet camping weekend. That was when we first heard that he was starting to refuse to eat or drink. He quickly went downhill from there and passed away this past Thursday (June 25th) in the early evening. It's been a very sad few weeks, and honestly one laden with a good amount of regret for me personally. My track record for visiting my Grandpa hadn't been that great. It had, in fact, been about 6 months since I had last seen him when we went to visit those few times last week. That visit 6 months prior was for his 89th birthday, and he seemed so happy to have so much company! It sadly was only the second time he had seen Ana since we brought her home and he was so taken with her! When Ian was little, and Grandpa was living in a senior community close by we would visit him once a week at his little apartment. Somehow when he went to the nursing home, I let those visits seriously lapse, and it got to the point that I really only saw him on Christmas when he would spend the holiday with my parents. He would even ask me, "Cammie, you are home right? Why don't you come visit me?", and I would pledge to myself that I would get better. But I never did. I've been wracking my brain for reasons why this happened and the only thing I can think of is that after he went to the nursing home, he wasn't happy. Whenever we would visit, he would basically ask us to "Get me out of here". And the medications he was on made him very sleepy, and he would sometimes just kind of stare off and almost seem like he wasn't there. I guess I just didn't know what to say. No excuse, I know. At the visits we made at the beginning of last week, he would open his eyes when we talked to him. I'll never forget the way he opened his eyes wide and turned his head when Ian came up to his bedside. He loved his grandkids so much. I just wish I had been a better one. I guess the lesson I've taken from this is that no matter how uncomfortable a situation makes me, that if I care about someone I need to do whatever it takes to show them. Life really is too short to live my life any other way. For now, I'll ponder my memories of my Grandpa; the vanilla sandwich cookies that must always be split and spread with peanut butter before eating, and the lesson in the proper way to store a piece of chewed gum on the tip of your nose until you can resume chewing, the peanut blossom candies, and the smell of tobacco. These things I will take with me. I only hope he knows how much I really loved him.

5 comments:

Indigo Potter said...

I'm very sorry for your loss. I'm sure he knows you loved him.

Carol

beanhead said...

Your Grandpa is looking down on you now and enjoying the show. I have been there, it is a hard lesson to learn to love now not later. Your Grandpa knows how much you loved him and he took that with him. Take care my kindred spirit.

Nannie and Papa said...

Grampa always knew how much you loved him Cammie. Please have no regrets. Grampa loved each and every visit from everyone. I have not been able to visit as much since he moved to Haven but your Dad was there several times a week and was always taking pictures and filling Grampa in on all the family news.

He knows we all loved him

Anonymous said...

Cammie and family, we are so sorry for your loss. We can understand this post well as we've experienced it first hand. When I look back, a lot of how I was feeling was trying to remember our loved one how they were... it's very painful to watch them unhappy and incoherent. I think it's our own way of beginning to say good-bye to ease the pain.
Believe me, he knew how very much he was loved by you all!
Karla

Debbie said...

I have no doubt your grandpa knew how much you loved him. I'm sorry that you have obviously lost a very special man in your life. Treasure the memories and know that he will always be with you in spirit.